For more info visit http://www.pearlbluegrass.com
The Pearl Bluegrass Jam & Stage Show has been held every month for the past 18 years at the Pearl Community Center and its surrounding 5-acre property.
The Pearl Community Center is a historic building that was formerly the Pearl school which was built in 1917 after the previous school house burned down. The last graduating class at the current location was in 1956 after which the Pearl school consolidated with Evant and finally closed in 1958.
Once the building was no longer used as a school the structure started to deteriorate. When local bluegrass musicians came up with the idea to start holding bluegrass jams at the old school they began to collaborate with community volunteers to restore the building.
Musicians from all over began to gather at Pearl to jam together and listeners from many surrounding areas were drawn to hear the music. Local volunteers prepared and sold food to raise funds to help purchase materials needed to restore the school.
The Pearl Community Center incorporated as a non-profit in 1997 and made and maintained many restorations and improvements since that time. Community volunteers have donated their time and skills to add a new roof, replace the windows, pour new floors, add air conditioning and heat, update the sound system in the auditorium, paint and decorate the building with all kinds of historical pictures and memorabilia, and create RV camping and parking areas.